Sensata Technologies, one of the world’s leading suppliers of sensing, electrical protection, control and power management solutions, recently completed the acquisition of Spear Power Systems. The acquisition of Spear advances Sensata’s electrification portfolio and strategy into new clean energy markets and enables the Company to deliver more comprehensive energy storage solutions to original equipment manufacturer (OEM) customers in specialty transportation markets.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for defining battery systems and mechanical requirements. The individual will work closely with vendors and support manufacturing and quality engineering. The Mechanical Engineer will build on proven mechanical enclosures / thermal propagation and employ creative new approaches to launch products. This position will be a member of the commissioning team, conducting pre-site visits and participating in the deployment of the battery system/integration of the battery system with the host platform.-
• Leverages engineering fundamentals and org to make sound decisions on complex technical issues
• Detailed understanding of market and implications for business
• Proactively challenge and drives the organization to deliver improved quality and performance related to engineering design
• Product Strategy participant and driver
• Maintain product documentation (drawings and specifications)
• Direct interaction with customers to solicit product specifications requirements, schedule expectations and budget
• Corrosion research and welding characterization & has a strong understanding of mechanical engineering principles, materials, mechanics, fluid, thermo and heat transfer
• Advanced knowledge of basic electrical circuits, microelectronic assembly, statistical methods, process control fundamentals and product test processes
• Familiarity with manufacturing methods – welding, brazing, soldering, adhesive bonding, machining, stamping, molding and forming. Basic knowledge of core manufacturing processes
Experience / Qualifications
•A university degree and 4-6 years of experience (i.e. Bachelors degree) or a graduate degree and 2-4 years of experience (i.e. Masters degree) or a higher level degree and 0-2 years of experience (i.e. Doctorate degree)
• Must be a team player able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to handle multiple competing tasks and demands
• Strong communication skills; oral, written and presentation
• Strong organization, planning and time management skills to achieve results
• Strong personal and professional ethical values and integrity
Design mechanical enclosure:Conduct analytical or finite element analysis of the behavior of battery systems under various shock, vibration, and constant mechanical loads.
Conduct thermal management design
Work with vendors & purchasing department to understand and address manufacturing challenges.
Work with vendors including plastics modeling, machining, sheet metal forming, stamping, welding, extrusion, casting, and 3D printing to ensure delivery of high quality, low cost parts.
Define battery system requirements and derive mechanical requirements.
Verify via testing the mechanical function as designed:Model and empirically verify the thermal behavior of battery systems.
Develop 3-D Model to support analysis
Develop tolerance stack-up analysis
Support failure modes effects analysis and safety hazard analysis.
Participate & lead component Design Reviews
Implement mechanical designs & implemented within the Mechanical Design Guide
Research & Development of new thermal propagation techniques
Conduct component Design Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (DFMEA)
Conduct Design & Verification Testing to validate new mechanical enclosures designs
Participate & Develop engineering prototypes.
Familiarity with SolidWorks or similar mechanical design tolls preferred.
Familiarity with Matlab/Simulink or similar modeling tools preferred.
Familiarity with finite element analysis preferred.
Minimal, intermittent travel to 25% of the time (including international travel).
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence required to support government contracts.
Ability to stand or sit for long durations of time. Ability lift up to 50 lbs.
Collaborating at Sensata means working with some of the world’s most talented people in an enriching environment that is constantly pushing towards the next best thing.
Employees work across functions, countries and cultures gaining new perspectives through mutual respect and open communication.
As OneSensata, we are working together to make things work together
To apply for this job please visit sensata.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.