Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
There are jobs. Then there are careers that foster you to be a force for good in the world. The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) is a world-leading safety research center working with car companies, suppliers, and government agencies to bring about the safe development and deployment of automated vehicles on our roadways. Transportation is under transformation, so every day we are approaching problems differently to make a difference in the world (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4VWviw5JA).
VTTI seeks qualified, ambitious Mechanical System and Mechatronic Engineers interested in answering complex questions surrounding automated vehicle systems. The candidate should be an experienced engineer capable of working independently and with multidisciplinary teams to conduct and support cutting-edge research. The selected candidate will be a member of a highly capable team with experience and interests in transportation-related areas such as automated vehicle systems, ADAS, sensor/perception systems. connected vehicle systems and related technologies.
The candidate should be able conceptualize, design, optimize, construct and implement instrumentation and tests to fully assess the performance of these transportation support systems. The candidate should have an aptitude for working with complex technological systems, applying appropriate data collection and data analysis techniques, developing robust solutions, and interpreting and communicating results. This work performed under this position often involves applying mechanical-, electrical-, computer- and software-engineering skills into the same project
The candidate will be empowered to independently lead research projects or tasks with demonstrated success over time, providing key opportunities for advancement and career growth.
Must have a criminal background check and valid driver’s license
• For Senior Research Associate: PhD degree in mechanical engineering or related technical field. Candidates with a lesser degree and significant experience in lieu of degree will also be considered
• For Research Associate: Master’s degree in mechanical engineering or related technical field. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree and significant progressive experience in lieu of degree may also be considered
• Demonstrable experience in transportation research or equivalent experience within a related field
• Firm understanding of engineering principles needed to analyze, verify, and interpret technology and safety research.
• Experience participating in cross-functional teams
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
• Ability to manage, influence, negotiate, and communicate with external business partners and internal teams to meet project goals
• Strong communication skills
• A Mechatronics Engineering degree or related background.
• Work experience or familiarity with automated vehicle systems, ADAS, sensors, and perception systems
• Proficient in data collection, processing, and statistical analysis including skills in programming (e.g., Matlab, SAS, R, Python, etc).
• Project Management experience, qualified to lead project teams and oversee project schedule, budgets, and deliverables.
To apply for this job please visit careers.pageuppeople.com.